Comfort Food Recipes for Food Lovers
Why comfort food recipes? Simply because everyone loves good food.
This website started out as a way to organize and preserve all my favorite recipes. I've been collecting and testing recipes since I was a teenager. The majority of the comfort food recipes you will find here came from my grandmother, who was the queen of comfort food. Some of the recipes came from my mom, friends and other family.
I wanted to share these recipes so that everyone could have access to tried and true, comfort food recipes made with common foods and easy to find ingredients. I've found over the years that many cookbooks and magazines couldn't possibly have tested the recipe before publishing it because when I made it, it was horrible. Sometimes, the recipes would have strange ingredients that I couldn't find in the grocery store and that left me wondering if it was real food.
All of the comfort food recipes listed here are either family favorites, or at the very least, tested by my picky family to insure that it is yummy. Many will be photographed for the website, mainly because I find that it helps to know what the recipe should look like. Using my imagination to “see a dish” by reading a list of ingredients is not one of my talents and I think many people feel the same way.
Now, I've heard that food pictures in magazines, books and many websites are touched up, air brushed and sometimes not even food, but synthetic reproductions because food does not photograph well. So, please keep in mind that I'm not a professional photographer, but I will do my best and all the photos will be the real food. I remind my daughter, when she says, "that looks yucky", that she needs to try it. Candy bars are hard, lumpy and brown and if she hadn't tried one, she wouldn't know the wonderful sweet taste of chocolate. If I don't have a photo up, it just means that I haven't made it since starting this website, or I forgot to photograph it before we started eating, which I sometimes do.
My grandma passed away in 2003, but recently my mom gave me a box full of my grandma's comfort food recipes. As I started looking through them, I'd found that many of our family recipes had been altered over time and use. I wanted to see if the originals were still good. For instance, I have 3 recipes for Grandma's chili--one I wrote down, one my mom had and one that was in the box, written in Gram's handwriting that may have been the original. This got me thinking about the movie Julie & Julia and how Julie cooked her way through Julia's cookbook. My reasoning is different, but I want to do that with Grandma's comfort food recipe box simply for the fun of it. This will be a challenge, since some of Gram's recipes start off with things like "a 3 cent cake of yeast". My experience with yeast has been in little packets so I wasn't sure if this was still around and I'm sure it costs a lot more than 3 cents by now!
This website will be the home of many comfort food recipes that bring back happy childhood memories. My daughter has assured me that she will not be carrying on a few of those recipes (anything with tomatoes for sure), so maybe they will live on in your families. If you are trying to recreate a comfort food recipe from childhood that you just can’t quite get, feel free to email me as I’ve had some luck in this department. My grandmother had this wonderful creamy, rich chicken gravy that she would pour over bread and of course, I craved it after she passed away. It took several experiments, but soon I was eating a comforting dish full of memories. I didn’t make it the same way she did (boiling chicken bones is not my thing) but I got the same wonderful flavor she had and that was what mattered.
If your child or children are as picky about eating as mine, sharing the kitchen and these recipes will encourage them to try new and different foods. Before starting the website, my daughter had a list of favorites (pizza, beefy nachos and steak--no vegies included), that she requested at every meal time and it was a real struggle to get variety and vegetables into her. When we started cooking together, she wanted to try her creations and we've also found some rather creative vegetable recipes too.
Here you will find recipes that are harder for experienced cooks and also recipes that are easy for beginners, but in all the recipes, I've added details that make the hard recipes easy and have taken out the "cooking lingo" so you don't need a dictionary to figure it out.
I also try to give you alternatives within the recipes because sometimes you just don't have an ingredient in the pantry and a different ingredient will work just as well. Also, different people have different taste buds and the recipe needs to work for your family. The fish recipes (except baked tuna) do not come from Grandma because she didn't like fish. My dad and I are the only people who love spicy--the hotter, the better, but that means I have very few recipes that contain heat. That doesn't mean that if you like spicy, you can't add the spice to my recipes...I happen to love curry and add it to a lot of my dishes (even if it isn't in my recipe here).
The ingredients in these recipes will be simple--no trekking to some strange market that's only open on Saturday mornings. You should be able to find all the ingredients in your cupboards or local grocery store. Even my “gourmet” recipes, that you can use for entertaining will be made with easy to find, common foods. If I do have something in a recipe that has the potential to be difficult, I will try to give you a substitute for it, or at least let you know where it can be found in the grocery store.
Oh, and just so you know, I am adding recipes on a weekly basis so please keep checking back to see what's new. Soon you will be able to sign up for my Ezine to receive an update when new recipes have been added.
- Cooking Tips and Tricks
- Discover tons of cooking tips, tricks and hints to help make recipes in the kitchen come out better, easier and tastier!
- Food Substitutions Chart
- Here is a handy food substitutions chart for cooking, baking or substituting ingredients when needed.
- Conversion Charts
- Cooking Conversion Charts to help you easily convert measurements for US, metric, weights, volume & more.
- Temperature Charts
- Use these handy temperature charts for meat, candy and converting farenheit to celcius!
- Hot and Cold Appetizer Recipes and Snacks
- Hot & cold appetizer recipes, snacks, dips and spreads, for parties, entertaining and meal starters.
- Beef Recipes
- Beef recipes for pot roast, beef stew, roast beef, steaks and beef stir-fries.
- Drink Recipes and fun beverages for all your Entertaining Needs
- Try these fun and easy drink recipes to quench your thirst!
- Bread Recipes - The Ultimate Comfort Food
- Mouth watering bread recipes - a staple comfort food, wether it's homemade bread, sourdough, yeast dough, muffins, breadsticks or more
- Breakfast recipes to start or end your day
- Breakfast recipes can be enjoyed any time of the day. Homemade pancakes, eggs and waffles make delicious and quick suppers!
- Cake Recipes, Cupcake Recipes and Frosting Recipes
- Cake recipes, cupcakes and their frostings. Simple and delicious recipes like, cherry chocolate cake, pumpkin cheesecake, sponge cake, kitty litter cake and more!
- Candy Recipes - fudge, chocolate, toffee and more!
- Dazzle your friends and family with these quick and easy candy recipes. Great for holidays, bake sales and special treats!
- Canning Recipes for preserving vegetables & fruit; making pickles, jams & jelly
- Simple canning recipes for the time stressed and cooking challenged
- Cookie Recipes, Bar Recipes, Brownies, Blondies and more
- Best Easy Cookie Recipes for chocolate chip, peanut butter, sugar and more. Don't forget brownies & bars
- Dessert Recipes - tortes, chocolate, pudding, mousses, fruit desserts, & pies
- Simple and delicious dessert recipes like rice pudding, sinfully rich fruit tortes, mousse, pies and more!
- Ground meat recipes, hamburger, sausage, ground beef, ground chicken & turkey
- Simple and delicious ground meat recipes with ground beef, hamburger, sausage, ground chicken, turkey, meatloaf and more!
- Holiday Recipes for Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Thanksgiving, & more
- Fun holiday recipes for lots of festive occassions: Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter & More!
- Pasta recipes - spagetti, macaroni, capelli, the sauces and more
- Simple and delicious pasta recipes like pasta primavera, pasta carbonara, pasta fagioli, pasta sauces and more
- Pork recipes - ham, bacon, chops, ribs and roasts
- Simple & Delicious pork recipes like ham with pineapple, porkloin, pork chops, pork roast, ribs and more!
- Potato recipes - baked, roasted, sweet potatoes, mashed, twice baked and more
- Simple and Delicious potato recipes like fried potatoes, sweet potatoes, cheesy hashbrowns, baked and roasted potatoes, garlic mashed potatoes, chips and more!
- Chicken Recipes - Easy, Baked, Roasted, Marinated and More
- Chicken recipes for all your favorites! Chicken parmesan, chicken casserole, chicken marsala and yummy chicken and spinach manicotti
- Salad recipes and salad dressing recipes
- Simple and Delicious salad recipes and salad dressing recipes like potato salads, pasta salads, fruit salads and more!
- Sandwich recipes - grilled hot, cold, wraps, spreads and more
- Simple and Delicious sandwich recipes and bread spreads like wraps, sub sandwiches, grilled hot and cold sandwiches and more!
- Seafood recipes and fish recipes
- All your favorite, simple and delicious seafood recipes and fish recipes like shrimp scampi, baked salmon, stuffed shrimp, halibut, lobster, crab and more
- Soup recipes - broths, chowders, gumbo, both hot and cold soups
- Simple and delicious soup recipes like french onion soup, potato soup, chicken noodle, creamy pumkin soup and more!
- Vegetable recipes - meatless entrees to simple side dishes to go with your meal
- Simple and Delicious vegetable recipes, side dishes and meatless entrees for vegie lovers and non-vegie lovers alike.
- Free Online Cooking Games
- Free online cooking games for girls and kids to play and learn about cooking!
- Food Network of Friends
- This page is the food network of great sites that have recipes, cooking help and kitchen tools.
- Contact Me Page
- Please enter your questions or comments on the contact me page.
- Sponge Cake Recipe
- Sponge Cake uses whipped egg whites to add air to the cake and allow it to rise.